[mythtv-users] Remote control with Directv

Jeremy Oddo joddo at apixels.net
Thu May 22 14:07:59 EDT 2003

> I leave my tuner card tuned to channel to either 3 or 4

Hmmm, if you are using the RF connector, I guess this is true.  You should
look into the SVideo/RCA connector and feed the video signal in that way.

> Do I use lirc? or do I use the huppage IR receiver?

The Haupauge remote uses LIRC as does the homebrew stuff.  If you want to
transmit *or* receive, you'll want to use LIRC.

> Lirc or Hauppage IR receives this data which then sends it out the
> serial  port using some perl script to the DirecTV receiver?

Much thanks goes to Tarek on this.  Check out http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/
for a lot of good information on this.

This is how I have it set up:
Serial Port 01:  homebrew IR receiver
Serial Port 02:  cable to "low speed port" on RCA DirecTV box

Go to http://tarek.2y.net/myth and download the RCA.pl or sony.pl script
for changing channels.  If you don't have an RCA or Sony DirecTV box,
you'll have to make modifications to the script.  Again, check out
http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/ for help.  In Myth, select the RCA.pl or
sony.pl script as your channel changer script.

> I am then able to tune to say 354 on my DirecTV receiver, which I then
> record or "time shift".

Hee hee...TechTV :)  Yeah, this is how it works; your IR receiver will
"get"  your command sent my your remote (you will need LIRC for this).  If
it's a channel change command, Myth will run the channel changer script
(ie:  RCA.pl, sony.pl, etc.).  The script will send the command out to
your DirecTV box.  And let me tell you, it works *really* well :)

Does that clear anything up?  I bet that if you go to
http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/, it'll clear up some of the confusion.

Good luck!
Jeremy