[mythtv-users] How to simplify DVD playing

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 12:02:07 EDT 2003

>I have actually been running with SPDIF out a long time. Both using my DXR3
>and an integrated VIA 8235 and its working great.

Your are, did it work from the start or did you need to setup something? Are
you running ALSA drivers? I'm going to be adding an Audigy to my pvr and
would like to use the SPDIF out for all audio.

>How is this different from the DVD guide that was just posted, or are you
>just asking for Myth to set up this button for you?

I would prefer to have it built in, or a module, I mean we are building
pretty much little media centers here, a dvd player or way of accessing one
easily should be included or easily available. I'm kinda a newbie to linux,
so anything that is prepackaged or available to add already makes my life a
lot easier, but I can deal with just figuring it out myself if need be. I
have to say that installing myth isn't the easiest thing in the world lol,
with all the requirements, I have learned quite a lot about linux. Where is
this graphical setup interface everyone is talking about, or was it that
/config or whatever gui that you call for settings?

>Are you aware of the existence of other modules? Specifically the MythVideo
>module? I think it does exactly what you're looking for here, except it
>doesn't have any means to select the source. It just looks at a
>(configurable) spot on the HD. I would think that you could have some sort
>of automounter, and put a softlink in that directory linked to /mnt/dvd.

Wow, totally missed that one lol, perfect I will give it a shot later. It
says in the docs to set the start directory to a valid mount point on your
drive, so can't that just be a dvdrom? How would I go about fakeing it out
like you suggested?

Now all my heart desires for mythtv is built in recording profiles for
shows, and the support of a transcoder for converting shows, both of which
will probably come in the future.