[mythtv-users] How to simplify DVD playing

Rob Rogers rob at wizardstower.net
Thu May 22 12:53:47 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 00:17:15AM -0700, Chris Germano wrote:
> >that heading)
>
> -An integrated DVD button like you mentioned built in or a module addin
> that can either bring up another program and start your dvd or just have an
> integrated player. It would have to have at least basic functionality play,
> stop, pause, next ch, prev ch, and maybe even time info.

How is this different from the DVD guide that was just posted, or are
you just asking for Myth to set up this button for you?

> -A file player, maybe should be integrated into DVD module, to make it like
> a Media/File Playback module. It would need to be able to select a source
> either localy on the hd, or on a dvdrom say and allow you to select a file
> off of it to play. There are a lot of reasons why I think an integrated
> player like this would be useful. The whole transcoding and archiving idea
> is coming along nicely so it would be nice to be able to pop a DVDR/CDR
> with divx, mpg2, avi etc in there to instantly playback from myth with just
> a tap of a remote. Again this can be probably done through use of a button
> and some fancy scripting to call up other programs, but for linux novices
> like myself, it would be nice to have a guide or a module to just compile.

Are you aware of the existence of other modules? Specifically the
MythVideo module? I think it does exactly what you're looking for here,
except it doesn't have any means to select the source. It just looks at
a (configurable) spot on the HD. I would think that you could have some
sort of automounter, and put a softlink in that directory linked to
/mnt/dvd.

[snip]
> PS why doesnt a project this big not have a forum? I run my own site and
> have one that practicaly no one uses :-) lol. Just think this would be more
> efficient, but I think this has been brought up before.

You mean online discussion forum? I couldn't tell you why, but
personally I prefer mailing lists over forums. Forums just annoy me. I
prefer being able to see the thread, plus, I'm guaranteed to check my
mail, but I forget to check in on forums. Just my 2 cents.

Rob