[mythtv-users] How to simplify DVD playing

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 01:17:15 EDT 2003

>that heading)

Thx for the guide, I'll be sure to check that out later.

I have a couple feature requests if anyone is interested :-P. I know some of
them have been delt with or brought up before, but anyway. If I can help out
with coding any of them I'm willing to, but my speciality is in java, and so
QT is new to me and taking on anything big would be a slow process for me.
Anyhow, here they are:

-An integrated DVD button like you mentioned built in or a module addin that
can either bring up another program and start your dvd or just have an
integrated player. It would have to have at least basic functionality play,
stop, pause, next ch, prev ch, and maybe even time info.

-A file player, maybe should be integrated into DVD module, to make it like
a Media/File Playback module. It would need to be able to select a source
either localy on the hd, or on a dvdrom say and allow you to select a file
off of it to play. There are a lot of reasons why I think an integrated
player like this would be useful. The whole transcoding and archiving idea
is coming along nicely so it would be nice to be able to pop a DVDR/CDR with
divx, mpg2, avi etc in there to instantly playback from myth with just a tap
of a remote. Again this can be probably done through use of a button and
some fancy scripting to call up other programs, but for linux novices like
myself, it would be nice to have a guide or a module to just compile.

-While on the subject a module or integration of a transcoding gui into
mythtv, like mythmkmovie etc. So that you can go to it, select your tv shows
and codec (preferibly a normal divx one), and tell it to convert them
overnight or something right from the remote without any need for a
keyboard. This is also important to me, as I have a windows network that
shares with the linux box. It would be nice to have the option of streaming
live video say after it is re-encoded or better yet a live streaming server
so that you can go on a windows machine or even the mythweb and actually be
able to view the video's. I'm getting at the idea that snapstream has, and I
think it is a really great one since not only can you time shift tv, but you
can view it anywhere. Maybe I've gone to far, transcoding is fine for now
lol.

-This is probably being worked on but support for multiple recording
profiles based on a per recording basis would be really nice feature.

-I haven't figured this out yet since my Audigy has yet to arrive in the
mail, but people are saying that SPDIF outs are not yet working on mythtv,
or in general with ALSA drivers. If this is true, it would be nice to have
it supported, but not sure if this really has to do with myth or ALSA,
anyway it is a must for DVD and any file player playback.

Later, Chris

PS why doesnt a project this big not have a forum? I run my own site and
have one that practicaly no one uses :-) lol. Just think this would be more
efficient, but I think this has been brought up before.