[mythtv-users] Setting cache on Mplayer for live TV?

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Thu May 22 01:10:54 EDT 2003

At 11:04 PM 5/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 23:19:00PM -0300, Jeff C wrote:
> > Is there anyway I can pass in a -cache 8192 argument for Mplayer to use
> > when I watch LiveTV with it on Myth?  That seems to smooth out my skipping
> > issue.
>
>Myth does NOT use mplayer. (Other than via the mythvideo module, but I'm
>pretty sure that's not what you're asking about)
>
>Not sure where that misconseption comes from, but seems like every other
>Myth newbie asks a question about it... let me just repeat it one more
>time. Myth does NOT use mplayer. When you're watching live TV, that is
>the Myth player.

Thanks for clarifying - and its actually useful news because now that I
have smoothed things out with MPlayer I know that a little bit of extra
cache gets me smooth live TV so I'll see if I can follow Issacs suggestion
and find the appropriate spot to increase my buffers in the Myth
player.  Also interesting to me was the Mplayer will fun in full "full
screen" mode within Gnome, where the Myth player doesn't overlay the task
bar at the bottom.  Most people just say "Gnome sucks use something else"
but I thought I'd mention it anyway...

-Jeff