[mythtv-users] Low Latency/Preempt Kernels?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue May 20 17:35:36 EDT 2003

Clint Byrum wrote:
> Hey, has anyone tried any of the low latency or preemptible kernel
> patches to try and counteract screen jitter on the frontend?
>
> If noone has, I'll give it a go. My PIII-550 frontend definitely
> exhibits some jitter on things that have been mentioned before, like the
> news tickers. Most stuff works great however.

Give it a shot. It will only help if the CPU more accurately
returns to the frontend process after a sleep. This is what
causes the frames to be updated at uneven times compared
to the display refresh. The uneven frame timing is always
there, it's just easier to see when there is a ticker.
This effect is much more apparent on a 60Mhz interlaced
display (okay, TV ;-) than a 75MHz or higher progressive
scan computer monitor.

You should try checking Setup->Playback "Jitter reduction".
As the name indicates, this isn't perfect but should do a
little better. I'm working on some better solutions from
"tvtime" that Isaac suggested.

--  bjm