[mythtv-users] key binding standards?

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Tue May 20 11:52:45 EDT 2003

At 07:39 AM 5/20/2003 -0600, you wrote:
Anyway, between this and the must-use-spacebar bits of mythmusic, I was
>>wondering what other people thought about redoing the keystrokes for
>>much of myth, and then standardizing them for future plugin projects so
>>we don't run into these differences again.
>>
>>(this would also allow us to update the gui of mythmusic and remove a
>>bunch of the track control buttons - since they're just there taking up
>>space and would be redundant if we had a working keystroke map for
>>them).
>I would be extremely happy to see something like this.  I was very
>frustrated when I set up MythMusic because of the odd key bindings.  I
>don't have a space key on my remote (I use enter because 'Space' didn't
>work well with TV and 'KP_Space' segfaults my frontend) and I had to hook
>up a keyboard to even try out MythMusic.  The keys don't match up in
>MythVideo either (but that is probably more of an MPlayer issue). However,
>the worst choice for keys is in MythWeather.  The setup is really simple,
>I don't know why it uses keys other than the standard arrow->enter
>keys.   It is a pain in the butt to have to take a keyboard to all my
>frontends in order to configure the weather module (or to select songs
>from MythMusic).  I think the majority of Myth users don't have a
>full-time keyboard on their frontend.  Consistent key use would be fantastic.

Having spent last night setting up a detailed config for my PVR 250 remote
for use with MythTV I would also support the standardization of the
keystrokes.  I am intending to install Weather and Music today and hadn't
realized I would need even more keys/buttons to make them work.  It would
be nice if the keystrokes for nav and submission etc were as consistent as
possible across the entire project.

-Jeff