[mythtv-users] key binding standards?

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Tue May 20 08:39:44 EDT 2003

Chris Petersen wrote:

>I was messing around in mythmusic (I finally got my machine moved out
>into the living room and plugged into my nice tv) and realized that it
>doesn't have key mappings for ff/rw, etc...  I then noticed that the ff
>button on my remote was sending "right arrow" - the same keystroke as
>the right arrow button on my remote.
>
>Anyway, between this and the must-use-spacebar bits of mythmusic, I was
>wondering what other people thought about redoing the keystrokes for
>much of myth, and then standardizing them for future plugin projects so
>we don't run into these differences again.
>
>(this would also allow us to update the gui of mythmusic and remove a
>bunch of the track control buttons - since they're just there taking up
>space and would be redundant if we had a working keystroke map for
>them).

I would be extremely happy to see something like this.  I was very
frustrated when I set up MythMusic because of the odd key bindings.  I
don't have a space key on my remote (I use enter because 'Space' didn't
work well with TV and 'KP_Space' segfaults my frontend) and I had to
hook up a keyboard to even try out MythMusic.  The keys don't match up
in MythVideo either (but that is probably more of an MPlayer issue).
 However, the worst choice for keys is in MythWeather.  The setup is
really simple, I don't know why it uses keys other than the standard
arrow->enter keys.   It is a pain in the butt to have to take a keyboard
to all my frontends in order to configure the weather module (or to
select songs from MythMusic).  I think the majority of Myth users don't
have a full-time keyboard on their frontend.  Consistent key use would
be fantastic.