[mythtv-users] Mplayer playback jerk

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Tue May 20 03:20:46 EDT 2003

I am using a MSI Geforce 2 MX to play back the captures I make with my PVR
250 card.  Player back from disk is usually pretty jitter free but if I
point mplayer at /dev/video0 or when watching TV via MythTV (I suspect it
is doing a very similar thing) I get a lot of skipping and jitter.  The
moment the CPU wants to do anything else, the TV playback stutters.

The system is an AMD Duron 1100Mhz with 384MB of RAM and a PVR 250
card.  Sound is from a PCI ES1371 SB card.  The machine has no other
assigned tasks.

I am digging through Mplayer trying to learn how to optimize it for
playback.  I used the -vo gl flag to tell it to use the OpenGL drivers and
the quality of the image improved but the stutter was still there.

Anyone else with a Geforce2 have any suggestions on optimization?  My
LiveTV viewing is fairly unusable right now...

-Jeff