[mythtv-users] Re: Best video capture resolution for output to TV?

Allen T. Gilliland IV alleng4 at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 09:51:10 EDT 2003

> Why capture at 720x480 when NTSC resolution is not
> that high?  Anything
> beyond 640x480 is a waste (actually, even 480x480 is
> just fine... see below)

What resolution do NTSC analog cable channels come in
at?  I know they are supposed to be less than say the
digital quality channels you get over satellite.  I
have Comcast Digital Cable and the last technician I
talked to said your first 80 or so channels are just
analog and of lesser quality then the rest of the
channels available.  Can anyone elaborate on what
those differences are in terms of resolution?

> 480x480 looks great on my 60" TV... I can hardly
> tell the difference from
> 640x480.

I agree ... I only record the analog channels and
480x480 seems fine to me.  I used to record at 720x480
but found no improvement with the higher resolution.
Of course I didn't change the bitrate when I lowered
the resolution, so technically the picture would be
better on the lower res capture.