[mythtv-users] selling hardware

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Fri May 16 09:56:11 EDT 2003

> Van: ramon.roca at xcombo.com
>
> I'm just talking at this point of selling hardware that we know that
> works, configure it and therefore help beginners join to this project and
> sharing experiences between those who do this.

Indeed, selling (assembled?) hardware with an installed Linux distro and
"some software, which includes MythTV" seems doable. No support for
software, but broken hardware should be dealt with off coarse. Just a
community site with fora, mailinglists and documentation.

> I'm just thinking... providing disk images to dump over specific hardware
> configurations,

btw, in the case you didn't find it already, partimage is a good OSS
partition imager.

> constructing a site to build a community of who are doing
> this, to give an example, there are many questions that those buyers can
> come to you, like helping them to synch their palm or download their
> digital fotos from their camera!, which obviously is not a mythtv
> question..., selecting hardware, maybe hardware comparisons? look i.e. at
> vcdhelp.com...
> I don't know, comments wellcome,.

If you are going to setup a thing like this you might want to discuss a bit
with webmasters of big Linux(-newbie) community sites, exchange ideas,
software (= PHP scripts). Not that I expect this will become 'the next
slashdot' or something that big. But you'll have more visitors and posts
than doable in something normal phpbb forum.

Though it is possible with more 'out of the box' OSS software, a 'smallish'
site like knoppix.org is good example. You just need to get the 'mood'
right, as new users encounter people who like to help you, they will be
quite likely to answer some questions for others.

	Henk Poley <><