[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu May 15 14:48:49 EDT 2003

> Having a fee based listing alternative to xmltv is NOT a bad thing in
> itself. As long as the fee is for a single easily replacable
> module, it can
> be a choice, yet not forced onto the users. If XMLTV goes out for a while,
> you can always use the pay service while working on alternatives. Also if
> the quality of listings is better, I bet many people would choose to pay.

I agree; I would certainly pay a nominal fee for a more permanent & reliable
source of EPG data.   Actually, what would be great would be a free/premium
type service.  For instance, check out some of the dynamic dns services like
dyndns.org.  Their basic service is free (they do take donations, both $$
and equipment), plus they have extra premium services that pay the bills.

I would not be averse to seeing a company form around MythTV.  It would
contribute back to the Myth open source base, provide 'basic' free listing
data (maybe just a couple of days' worth, like the new stripped-down OEM
Tivo service...), plus sell pre-configured boxes and premium services for
subscribers only.  It would actually resemble Tivo, (or maybe like
OpenOffice vs. StarOffice), except it would be Myth, meaning: open, full
user control of recorded data, no restrictions on hacking/tinkering.  Okay,
maybe the premium/preconfigure version would have the commercial-skipping
disabled, just to keep the MPAA off our backs (but you could easily reenable
it by downloading the source code).  I dunno, I'm just rambling.  If I could
start or work for such a company, I'd be a happy camper.  Unfortunately (or
fortunately, depending how you look at it), my current job pays far too
well, and with a wife, 2 kids & a house, such a venture would be too big a
risk for me.

-JAC