[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

adam i. howard donutz at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 22:34:59 EDT 2003

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has really brought it up yet, but what with the
discussions comparing MythTV to Tivo or ReplayTV, it got me thinking:
what if we started selling pre-configured MythTV systems, based on the
Pundit or some other small system?

The way I see it, there's got to be a market: when it's already set up,
MythTV is easy enough for your average joe to use, and once you've
bought it, you aren't required to pay a subscription fee to keep using
it.

I can't see myself making a business out of selling or supporting
systems like these, but I'm thinking I could definitely put together a
few and make some extra money, enough to actually build a decent system
that can handle MythTV well ;)

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? I'm thinking that there's
plenty enough room for anyone interested in doing this that there
wouldn't really be much in the way of competition to deal with, so that
we could share our best practices here, or even put together a good
HOW-TO, from choosing good hardware to setting up mythTV (and any other
modules).

Who knows, maybe we could make something of this; or maybe it's just a
dream of mine.

Adam