[mythtv-users] two and one

Gerald Britton gbritton at doomcom.org
Wed May 14 13:08:49 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:48:36AM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> spdif and rca are completely different protocols (I don't know much
> about spdif, but was under the impression that it was optical).  And no,
> I doubt there's any way to make the rca plug do anything other than rca
> video.

There's coaxial SPDIF over 75ohm cabling (which has the nice advantage of
being the same as for composite video).  There are other systems (i think
atleast one of the epia systems, though i forget which exactly) which have
an RCA plug on the back which is switchable between either composite video
out or SPDIF audio out.  My receiver has several digital inputs and can do
either coax or optical.  It seems like many of these barebones systems have
the SPDIF output on the front of the box rather than the rear, it's been
one of the reasons I've put off getting one sofar. (I don't want to have a
cable snaked out from the front of the box)

				-- Gerald