[mythtv-users] two and one

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue May 13 23:29:39 EDT 2003

> I pretty much have the same feeling as Chris... although there's one
> other thing: Getting under the hood. Its nice to be able to go read the
> mythtv code.. to grab the cvs and tweak it a little.

oh, yeah, I must admit that I like that, too..  especially some of the
features (like mythweb) that the commercial ones don't have.

> After reading your post I looked these up. They are pretty cool! ;)
> Are all of the onboard components supported?

yeah, one of my bosses bought one as a test machine for a client who
likes low-end workstations, and I knew EXACTLY what it would be perfect
for.  :)   As far as I can tell, everything is (you have to manually
compile the NIC drivers, and I'm having trouble getting them to compile
with the openmosix kernel, but they work with the normal one just fine),
with the exception of the flash memory readers.  The flash memory
readers MIGHT work; I just haven't had enough time to poke around with
them (ie. they weren't auto-detected by the redhat 9 installer).

> Just curious... what did you need more speed for? Planning for something
> more demanding? HDTV anyone? ;)

basically, I wanted to use mpeg4 compression at 640x480 instead of
rtjpeg.

> Dual Athlon MP1900+ (Tyan S2466N-4M) running Debian sid.

heh, that's my desktop (well, an asus board).  no free pci slots in
there, though, and it's too noisy to leave on all the time (and my
servers in the basement are just p3 systems).

> IR solution: ????? I need some sort of solution, more on this in another
> post. Can't change channels right now :( .

Look at the ATI Remote Wonder.  No idea how well it works, or how to get
one these days, but it sounds like a USB dongle that mimics
keyboard/mouse directly - and it's RF instead of IR.  I want one, but
will have to wait until I have the $$.

> Frontend:

Sounds similar to what I wanted to do, though I was hoping to use a
passively-cooled crusoe-type motherboard (forget now what they are
called - a friend of mine was installing them into LCD screens to make
some REALLY small terminals).  But that would take money.

>  The dualie is like a jet engine, but lives in a room at the absolute other
> end of the house. :)

ah, yes, I know that feeling.  too bad I have a small house.  feels
weird to shut off a linux machine every night.

-Chris