[mythtv-users] two and one

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue May 13 17:13:13 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 03:12  PM, Curtis Stanford wrote:
>> 3) the technical question: I think the Shuttle cases are gorgeous
>> little
>> boxes, and am thinking of one as an all-in-one mythtv box.  Anyone had
>> experience, good or bad, with using the onboard audio and s-video from
>> shuttle in conjunction with mythtv?  (Specifically, audio: Realtek
>> ALC650,
>> video: VIA Savage8)  If I could get away with just putting a hauppage
>> card
>> in there and not needing a separate gfx or sound board, the machine
>> begins
>> to look nice and lean (and more importantly, cooler and cheaper).
>
> I had a Shuttle (AMD/nvidia2) and was never successful getting the
> built in video to work right. In my experience, Shuttles are also
> noisy little bastards. The fan whine would go up and down constantly,
> driving me nutso. I've been told that replacing the stock fan with
> something else would help. However, I ended up taking mine back.

If you want reliable advice about the Shuttle PCs you really need to
specify which model you're talking about. There is no one "Shuttle."
The amount of noise varies greatly depends on the model. I'm running
MythTV on the SK41G. It is *VERY* quiet. I understand the SK41G2 isn't
nearly as quiet because it has an extra fan for the nVidia chipset. The
model that the SK41G replaced (SK40G) was reportedly very noisy as well.

The built in video (including TV-out) works fine, as does the built-in
LAN and audio.

James