[mythtv-users] two and one

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue May 13 13:30:12 EDT 2003

I'm only responding to question 1, since I don't use the Shuttle and I'm
testing MythTV in a technical setting, where I'm constantly fiddling with
host configurations and have no non-technical users.

At 02:51 PM 5/13/2003 -0400, Adam Hirsch wrote:
>Hey, folks.  I have a couple of non-technical questions and one technical
>question, being new to the list.
>
>The non-technical questions first, I suppose.
>
>1) I'm curious as to what brings people to try out MythTV.  Is it the geeky
>pleasure of building something oneself?  Is it wanting to be independent
>from TiVo's feature control or fate?  Is it cost?  Is it the extra features
>that one can't get from the commercial PVRs out there?

My interest in video capture with Linux is not specific to MythTV. I've
started using it only recently, after over a year doing standard DivX caps
using vcr and avifile (which I still continue to do, on a different host).
My reasons for prefering Linux-based video in general to TiVo are (probably
in order of importance):

1. Easily able to store for the long run, not just for timeshifting. I've
managed to build up a nice library of movies and shows I especially like,
in a format that I can watch on any Linux or Windows host.

2. Cost. I'll get back to this below.

3. Privacy. I don't imagine you need me to expand on this one.

>Spec'ing out a Athlon/shuttle/WinTV-PVR/IR box, I can't quite seem to make
>it cost less than a TiVo + a year's service, so I'm trying to figure out
>why it's still really alluring to me to try building one.  Figured asking
>why it's alluring to other people might help illustrate it.

It's not. But you've chosen a relatively high cost solution. Try this one:

Celeron 1.7 GHz -- just got a CPU, mobo, and heatsink/fan on sale today for
$75.
Standard case and P/S -- don't know today's price, but I've gotten them for
$30 on sale by watching the specials.
256 MB PC133 RAM -- about $25 when on local special.
250 GB hard disk -- about $220 when on sale.
low-end Aver or (until recently) Hauppauge vidcap card -- $40 when on sale.
some decent AGP video card with TV out -- $50 or less
Sound card (if needed) -- low-end Soundblaster, usually $30
NIC (if needed) -- $10
keyboard and mouse -- often free locally (due to $0 net cost rebates)
IR control -- I bought some CIMR100 units for $8 each a few months ago;
don't know what cheap stuff is available now.

This (did I leave anything out?) totals to about $490, and 45% of the total
is the enormous hard disk. And there is even room to trim here, if the mobo
has usable sound and a NIC, and if you can use a cheaper video card (say
the Savage IX with TV-out, currently on sale for $13) ... and, of course,
with a smaller hard disk (a 120 GB was on sale locally for $90 last weekend).

I don't know current TiVo pricing, so you (or someone) will have to tell me
how it compares to this.

The actual Myth host I'm running cost a bit more than this, because I
didn't always get rock-bottom prices and because it has a WiFi card.

[other questions deleted]