[mythtv-users] Re:PVR-250/350 and MiniITX?

Larry Matter mythtv at matter.net
Tue May 13 11:09:42 EDT 2003

>> > The TV out on my Epia 800 is crappy.
>>
>> How specifically (for those of use that don't have an 800 :-)?
>
>   Basically, the XVideo interface doesn't quite work right.  There is
> either blue or magenta bars on the edges of the screen.  This looks
> like a dimension mapping problem between the X server and the
> application using XVideo.  This is just conjecture, because I haven't
> looked at the code.

No, I don't see any of that.  Just good ol' TV.

>> > Does it fill the NTSC screen?
>>
>> Not by default, but you can set it (in X) for overscan.  And then you
>> have to tweak MythTV to compensate, which is pretty easy.
>
>   Could you provide more information regarding this?

In the XF86Config you can specify an option for overscan (when using the
via driver).  Unfortunately I don't know how to control the amount of
overscan.  I would be happy to send you my XF86Config if you want.

Then in mythfrontend->setup->appearance you can adjust the size of the
screens (say 635x475 instead of 640x480).  What I don't know how to do is
to adjust the offset of the screens; they open at the upper-left corner
and thus are somewhat clipped by the overscan.  One thing I did that
helped a little was to *not* make them boarderless, but I'm not happy with
that as a long term solution.

>   I want a low power PC by all my TVs and I want it to be the exact same
> hardware, so I don't have to rebuild the world everytime I  get a new
> machine.

Me too.  I would like to have one of these systems as a diskless frontend
machine at each TV and use a big-honkin' server in the garage for all my
multimedia content.  I will probably have to play DVD's locally though.

Larry