[mythtv-users] FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Sun May 11 23:58:00 EDT 2003

Pete Hartman wrote:

> At 03:13 PM 5/11/03 -0400, Pierre-Olivier Bouchard wrote:
>
>> When running with a minimal windowmanager (KDE eats too much CPU/RAM)
>
> I've just started putting my system together this weekend, and I've
> been looking for a lot of last night and all of today for some clear
> instructions on how to run Red Hat 9 with something besides KDE or
> Gnome and I'm getting nowhere.  Yes, I know I should be able to hack
> .xinitrc or some such, and I could (and if necessary will) eventually
> trial and error it, but if someone has a pointer to some online
> instructions somewhere I'd appreciate it.

I start X/myth in multiple steps:
1- Mythbackend is started through gentoo's rc scripts (there are rc
scripts for redhat too, I guess)
2- My "rc.local" (I think that's how it's named in redhat) runs the command:
    xinit /home/xinitrc > /home/mythstartup.log 2>&1 &
3- xinit loads X, and then reads the xinitrc file to see which apps to
load... here it is:
    #!/bin/bash
    flwm &
    amixer sset Line 100% mute cap &
    irexec &
    irxevent &
    xset -dpms s off
    mythfrontend > /home/mythfrontend.log
    nvtv -t -r 800,600 -S NTSC -s Small --set Flicker:100 &
4- Enjoy myth! =)

This should work fine with RedHat too (unless they're doing something
weird/wrong...)

Pete