[mythtv-users] FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Sun May 11 16:13:36 EDT 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003 11:25:00 -0700
Vince Busam <vince at busam.com> wrote:

> I (finally) have MythTV working on my system, although when watching
> TV Live the picture is like slow motion, with some jerks but
> apparently without losing frames.  Sound is normal - doesn't seem to
> be affected by slow motion picture. Separate recording and playback
> are fine.
>
> I believe the CPU can't keep up with live TV, although the hard disk
> may contribute to the problem.  Here is the data on my system for your
> information.

When running with a minimal windowmanager (KDE eats too much CPU/RAM) I
can manage LiveTV on my Celeron 1.1A (with the big metal heatspreader -
the 1.1, without it, is different (slower, less cache)), I can easily do
352x480 MPEG-4 LiveTV 2200kbps, or 320x480 High-Quality MPEG-4 LiveTV
2200 kbps (though I use 1900kbps (low disk space) - this one actually
looks better than 352x480!).

On my 20" TV set the 320x480 setting looks as good as a straight signal
(apart from when the screen is all black, which shows some pixelation).

I was able to do some 480x480 captures with RTjpeg, but they didn't look
anywhere near as good as my 320x480 settings, so it wasn't
worth it.

My hard disk is a little faster than yours, but do the math: 2200kbps
(default bitrate) is still much less than the 10 Mbytes/s you're
getting, so I think yours should be enough.

Pete