[mythtv-users] Permissions on devices?

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu May 8 10:46:40 EDT 2003

Joe Schmidt wrote:

> I am using 0.9.3. The sound card is nForce, integrated on the
> motherboard. The chipset is intel8x0. I've had different, but no more
> favorable errors using the drivers from the nvidia website, and kernel
> support for nforce. I ordered a nice half-size SB Live in hopes that
> ALSA supports it better, but it'd still be swell if I could get the
> intel8x0 working. Someone on the list reported success with it after
> following the ALSA instructions exactly.

I have gotten sound working well with the nForce onboard sound under
RH8, Mandrake 9.1, and Gentoo. In all cases I had to install ALSA. With
RH8 this involved disabling the stock OSS drivers. With Mandrake I
couldn't get the supplied version of ALSA to work, so had to install
myself. With Gentoo, it was the easiest of all (who would have guessed?)
I simply followed the very easy instructions for emerging ALSA on the
gentoo website. To sum up, you don't need new hardware.

good luck,
Cedar