[mythtv-users] Can I use MythTV for this?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu May 8 09:18:19 EDT 2003

Others have already answered the main part of your question. I'll offer a
comment on this part ...

At 11:28 AM 5/8/2003 +0100, Mark Levitt wrote:
[...]
>3) Is MythTV the best solution for this? Or are their simpler solutions that
>will get me what I want.

It depends on how "automatic" you want the recording to be. If you are
willing to pre-schedule recording yourself (via crond, for example), then
there are alternatives that will record directly to the DivX format. Look
for application names such as vcr, pvr, avicap or avirec (I forget which is
the capture-from-card app for avifile), and mencoder. This is how I did it
(using vcr/avifile) for over a year; I'm just now in the process of
switching over to MythTV.

MythTV offers greater convenience than any of these other methods, in that
it manages the process of getting the TV schedule and then manages the
vidcap process itself. (The pause-"live"-TV option is another important
benefit, but one that does not seem to apply to your requirements.)  The
cost, in your setting, of using MythTV is the post-capture conversion you
need to do (and MythTV's filenaming convention, designed to tie to its
database rather than use filenames that identify the content immediately to
the eye).