[mythtv-users] System freeze when "Watch TV"

Vince Busam vince at busam.com
Wed May 7 09:35:07 EDT 2003

I'm new to MythTV.  Just installed it from RPMs on RedHat 9.  CPU is 1.1 GHz
Celeron, no-name system.  Capture card is AverTV.  Did not install ALSA.

Installation seemed to go OK.  When I start mythbackend from command prompt, I
sometimes see a lot of output, such as:

i2c-core.o: i2c core module
i2c-algo-bit.o: i2c bit algorithm module
i2c-core-o: adapter bt848 #0 registered as adapter 0.
bttv0: using tuner=2
i2c-core-o: driver generic i2c audio driver registered.
i2c-core-o: driver i2c TV tuner driver registered.
tuner: probing bt848 #0 i2c adapter [id=0x10005]
tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
bttv0: ic2 attach [client=Philips MTSC (F1236 and compati,ok]
ic2-core-o: client [Philips MTSC (F11236 and compati] registered to adapter
[bt848 #0](pos. 0).
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... ok
bttv0: PLL: switching off

I always see this output:

Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video

I also sometimes see:

audio volume set to '32768'

or a message that the client connected (after I start mythfront end):

adding: c11g as a player 1

When I type "space" at "Watch TV" my system freezes, e.g. ctrl-alt-F1 doesn't
work.  I have to push the reset button to recover.

I'm not sure how to find the bttv driver files, but do have files bt819.0,
bt856.0, and bttv.o in directory
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video.

The output from lsmod includes tuner, tvaudio, bttv, ic2-algo-bit, ic2-core,
videodev, soundcore (all autoclean), and others.

I put the card in a Windows 2000 system and it works there with AverMedia's
software.

I realize this probably isn't a MythTV code problem, but I sure can use some
advice on what I can try to get MythTV working.  All suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

Vince