[mythtv-users] mythtv networked setup

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed May 7 01:53:57 EDT 2003

Mark Chou wrote:
> OK guys, mythtv is great, but I'm close to reaching the end of my rope
> regarding a networked mythtv setup.
>
> I have two machines (call them alice and betty), identically equiped for
> networked mythtv use.  Alice and Betty have their own storage and
> capture card. Alice is the "Master backend" and hosts the mythtv DB.
>
> For the life of me, it seems that my mythtv setup only records files to
> Betty's storage if Alice happens to be recording at the same time.

There is no round-robin scheme. The first input is always
first and the second is only used when the first is busy. The
third only where one and two are busy or unavailable, etc.

> Otherwise all recorded files end up on Alice.  Also when watching live
> TV on Betty, it seems that the "live" ringbuffer is on Alice (when Alice
> is "free").  Is this the correct mythtv behavior?

Variation of the same. Until this evening, LiveTV would
simply choose the first available tuner regardless of the
frontend host.

> How do I configure the neworked mythtv so that the storage on Betty
> gets as much use as Alice,

Storage management is a vast unexplored territory in MythTV ;-).
There is no easy way to do this currently and there may not
be in the foreseeable future. Some people like to know that
their 'best' tuner will always be chosen first. The best thing
to do for now is to put your biggest disks on the master.

> and that the live TV (for betty) ringbuffer
> resides locally on Betty?

Fixed in CVS. This has been a long standing, low priority
feature request. It now checks to see if there is an available
tuner on the same machine as the frontend. If not, it will
use any other available tuner.

--  bjm