[mythtv-users] Re:thoughts about Chaintech 7NIF2-SUMMIT mobo

Shawn Edwards sedwards at theedwards.org
Mon May 5 21:26:11 EDT 2003

I had posted a while back about this board.  I've had a chance to get
back to trying to use it, and I have more info.

The problems before were:

1) Ran too hot,
2) Audio was stuck at 48kHz (made mythmusic unbearable),
3) ethernet driver didn't load properly.

I have 1) fixed.  Turns out the main problem was a bad power supply fan.
  Fixed that (replaced the PS) and it's running a lot cooler.  I also
changed the fan arrangement and the underclocked the CPU, so the 1GHz
proc is now running at 750MHz.  But the main helper was the new PS.

I'm going to try a 2.5.x kernel (should make a difference with the
audio, I'm told), assuming I can get the NVIDIA video driver to compile
with it.

Once I get things working the way I like, I'll be posting a How I Did It.

Thanks to everyone involved with MythTV.  This has to be one of the most
courteous and helpful OSS communities I have been a part of.

--
-Shawn Edwards

Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish.  Teach a man to fish, you give
up your monopoly on fisheries.