[mythtv-users] Soyo SY-K7ADA

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 17:36:17 EDT 2003

I went and got the $59 Duron 1.3Ghz, motherboard,
case and power supply combo from Frys with the
intention of using this as a Myth box.  I got
as far as installing Debian with the 2.4.16 kernel
and xawtv, but no matter what xawtv would lock the
system.  The motherboard is a Soyo SY-K7ADA (onboard
sound), the video card a Matrox Mystaque G200,
the NIC a 3C905 and the TV tuner card an old BT848
Hauppauge Wincast (bttv card=2).

I googled for this combination and found others
that had the same problem so I replaced the
motherboard with an ECS K7S5A.  Then I noticed
that someone had posted on the pvrhw database that
they were using MythTV with the SY-K7ADA.  Was
there anything you had to do to get it working?

BTW, the Duron 1.3Ghz with the K7S5A rocks!  I'm
pausing live TV at 480x480, MPEG4, 2200kbps, MP3
level 7.  I was going to upgrade the G200 to
something with TV-out (I was looking at an
nVidia GF2), but then I saw an e-TV UT500
VGA-NTSC/PAL converter in the clearance bin
of a local vendor for $26 so I snapped that up
instead.  This combo would be a great deal if
I can get the motherboard to play
happy with the TV tuner card, other than the
power supply fan needing a 6V drop in voltage
before becoming tolerable in the audible
noise department.

-Dennis

P.S.  The search mechanism of the PVRHW database
could use some work.  I'm having a really hard
time trying to figure out the name of the person
with that motherboard.