[mythtv-users] Savage video cards, TV out, and X

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 5 13:03:15 EDT 2003

A couple of weeks ago, I posted some draft material here that included the
assertion that TV-out on Savage video cards was not supported by X. Several
people posted to correct me ... and indeed, the Savage video-driver site
seems to say that X does support TV out.

In fact, I seem to be unable to get it to work. Although my card (a Savage
2000) does work with a console, it fails to display the basic X screen
after I run "startx",  instead displaying a bright, flickering display.

I'm sure that this is just some misspecified setting in (probably)
XF86Config-4.  But the driver's site does not seem to have any information
on the details needed to make this work. So I was wondering if someone here
who actually got a Savage card to work this way could post the details of
what is needed. (Perhaps some specific Modeline is needed, for example?)

Additional details: if both TV and VGA displays are connected, and I
startx, the VGA display blanks. The X startup includes this message:
	(EE) SAVAGE(0): Failed to fetch any BIOS modes. Disabling BIOS.

BTW, please do not mix up this report with the known problem involving
xVideo on the Savage 2000.  I am having a problem with displaying the root
X display, not Myth or any other full-motion video. I wanted to verify that
the X driver really works with TV out before I purchase other Savage cards
that do support xv, and this old Savage 2000 is just the only card I happen
to have around.