[mythtv-users] Error on MAKE for IVTV Driver

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon May 5 21:10:31 EDT 2003

Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

>On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:37:21AM -0600, Alex Davidson wrote:
>

>>I am following the instructions at:
>>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.10

No, actually, you didn't. They say

"NOTE: THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED AS-IS AND IS NOT
GUARANTEED TO WORK WITH YOUR DISTRIBUTION. FOR IVTV DRIVER ASSISTANCE,
SEE THE IVTV MAILING LIST.
These instructions work for Mandrake 9.1 ...
Install the Mandrake kernel source."

It seems like you missed both of that. The instructions assume Mandrake
and are likely to fail on your redhat system.

>>but when I run make it says:
>>Makefile:8: /usr/src/linux/.config: No such file or directory
>>make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux/.config'.  Stop.
>>

>I'm sorry, you appear to have confused the mythtv lists with the ivtv lists.
>
>Please direct your ivtv questions to the ivtv mailing list.

Actually, that particular error message seems to be offtopic there as
well, more or less.

The problem is with his kernel configuration. Alex, please check the
documentation for your Red Hat 9 distribution about Linux kernels and
their sources. Alternatively, you can compile and install your own
kernel, see the Kernel How-To. All of that is independent from both
Mythtv and ivtv, but about Linux and your Red Hat distribution.