[mythtv-users] MythTV Installation Documentation

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 01:02:13 EDT 2003

From: "Albert Santoni" <GameGod at sympatico.ca>:
>On that note, I have no idea how I did it, but I have
>lirc working fine
>without recompiling my kernel.
>I have a serial IR receiver (Creative Infra-remote or
>something), and I just
>run lircd with the correct remote config parameter at
>startup, and it works
>perfectly.

Some IR receivers require a kernel module.  Some
don't.
Off the top of my head, the Creative CIMR100 (or
whatever it's called) doesn't, as well as the
IRMAN/UIR, the Pinnacle PCTV Pro and probably more.
Others do require a kernel module.  The simple
homebrew one that transmits data on the DCD line does.

I know because I had built the simple homebrew one
and calculated how long it would take to collect
the tools, headers, sources and expertise to
compile the kernel module and converted that to
a dollar amount if I had paid myself minimum wage.
Then I deduced that it would be cheaper for me to
add a $1.50 PIC 12C508A and upgrade the receiver
to a UIR(IRMAN) :-)

-Dennis