[mythtv-users] Re:TV-tuner signal interference problem

Alexander P. Petkov ap154036 at selway.umt.edu
Sat May 3 15:49:38 EDT 2003

I believe I have found what's causing this video signal
interfererence
with my tv-tuner card.

I am running an Abit  BH6 ver 1.0 with an upgradeware slot-t adapter
that houses a Celeron 1.4 precessor.

Anyway, I took the whole machine apart this morning, and inspected
cards one by one.

1. I changed the video card, the video noise problem was still there.
2. I changed the processor with an old Celeron 400Mhz, the problem
almost went away.

Upon closer inspection of the motherboard, I see that the inductor
coil (between  the keyboard and PS/2 mouse ports, and the slot 1) is
all charred.

Also, the 4 capacitors at the same location are swallen and cracked @
the top.

What happens is that the Slot-t adapter supplies voltage through the
molex connector, which is out of spec for the motherboard.  People
suggest an aluminum plate to dissipate heat, but I didn't have one.
Other than that, the motherboard works fine.

I tried again the tv-tuner card in another computer, no problem
whatsoever with the signal.

So , it looks like I will have to look to change/upgrade the
motherboard, ot try to fix it.

Any suggestions for a Tualatin motherboard? Is it possible to replace
the coil and capacitors on the Abit?

Thanks for reading this and for your ideas,

Alex