[mythtv-users] Ideal Setup

Paul Smith paullocal at pscs.co.uk
Fri May 2 11:09:03 EDT 2003

At 13:48 01/05/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>content-class: urn:content-classes:message
>
>"it's a shame there's nothing like it for Windows so it doesn't take weeks
>to set up..."
>
><http://www.myhtpc.net/>http://www.myhtpc.net/
>
>I'm not saying this is equal to MythTV... only that it is an interesting
>option for Windows users.
>With a WinTV PVR card it works pretty well.

Hmm, when I looked at myhtpc it looked to be just a front end to launch
other programs, eg WinTV2000 etc. Since Hauppauge's software is a pile of
**** that isn't what I wanted. I want something with a unified GUI across
all its features.

ShowShifter is the best thing I've come across for Windows for what I want
(standalone PC based PVR) and it has its own TV viewing software (which
works a lot better than WinTV) but doesn't support the WinTV PVR cards yet,
and only supports one card, has no built-in EPG, needs lots of 'clicks' to
get anywhere, not open source etc etc.

There are things I prefer about ShowShifter to MythTV (eg in MythTV it uses
MPlayer to view videos which has a totally different GUI to the rest of
MythTV) but I expect these will improve over time. The main problem (IMHO)
with MythTV is the setup issue, which is generally where Windows always
tends to beat Linux hands down (IMHO).

I have a TiVo box, and so far that is by far the best of the options (and
it's by far the cheapest option as well.. (£399 for the box & £199 for a
lifetime subscription = £600. My MythTV box so far has cost around £800-900
(OK it has more disk space))), but MythTV is more expandable, and,
hopefully, will become better than TiVo in the near future (whereas TiVo
isn't being sold or developed any more in the UK).