[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. freevo?

Fri May 2 10:53:30 EDT 2003

> On Thursday 01 May 2003 02:35 pm, Jones, Keith wrote:
> > Anyone know of a comparison document to evaluate which of these to use? (I
> > know this is the MythTV group, and maybe a little biased, but any
> > discussion would help <g>!)
>
> My (totally unbiased, obviously) comparison

Far more intriguing I would say is a MythTv vs VDR comparison.  This gives you much of what you get with myth (DVD, mp3, TV, timeshifting, multi-card support, etc) - all this on a pentium 90....!  (Although I suspect that you will need a P166 or perhaps slightly faster for timeshifting.  Probably also faster disks than the avg P90 came with).

What is misses though is all the eye candy.  And the biggest issue (for me at least) is the lack of constant ringbuffer so that you can hit reverse at any moment and start timeshifting.  It basically works like the Sky Digibox where you have to press pause first to start timeshifting and then you can press play and watch the rest of the show timeshifted.  For DVB-T users it has an EPG problem because there are currently no broadcasters sending the EPG info over the air (durr).  Also, on screen display is text only, no graphical eye candy.

I would love to see Ben's DVB support in Myth and then I suspect we might be able to migrate a good number of the VDR people to myth... (There are a lot of requests on the VDR list for a software based frontend to DVB instead of using the output on the card)

So in conclusion I would have thought that there was no contest that Myth and VDR are currently at the top of their respective trees (analogue vs Digital)

Great work Isaac!

Ed