[mythtv-users] Help please! I downloaded and compiled 0.8 still no live tv window

Chad Paavola paavola at covad.net
Thu May 1 11:13:08 EDT 2003

Sorry to keep posting the same problem but I can't seem to get the live
TV window to work.

I uninstalled the RPMs and downloaded and compiled mythtv0.8 on my
system (redhat 9, athlon1700, PCTVpro, nvidia mx440se).  I plan to
capture from the composite video port which will be attached to my
directv box.  So for testing, I've connected the video out from my
camcorder to the composite video in on the card.  I can see this video
signal using xawtv.

Anyway, I compiled without errors and ran setup and mythfilldatabase
successfully.  mythbackend runs and so does mythfrontend.  I went
through the setup on mythfrontend and then tried to go to to live tv.
At this point the ringbuffer file is written and continues to grow but
the mythtv window doen't appear.  However, if I kill mythbackend the
mythtv window pops up immediately (blank, of course).

Can somebody please, please give me some suggestions on how to figure
out what's wrong.  Should I do a backtrace?  The tail of my
/var/log/messages from when I let it run for about 15 minutes before
killing mythbackend looks ok:

[root at dvr setup]# tail /var/log/messages
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: tuner: probing bt848 #0 i2c adapter [id=0x10005]
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: bttv0: i2c attach [client=Philips NTSC
(FI1236 and compati,ok]
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: i2c-core.o: client [Philips NTSC (FI1236 and
compati] registered to adapter [bt848 #0](pos. 1).
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: bttv0: registered device video0
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: bttv0: registered device vbi0
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: bttv0: registered device radio0
May  1 09:11:02 dvr kernel: bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... ok
May  1 09:26:41 dvr kernel: bttv0: PLL: switching off

Help!  I'd be really grateful for any pointers.