[mythtv-users] RE: [mythtv] Some bugs, suggestions

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Mar 26 19:18:19 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 01:32  PM, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> I heard that the shuttle was quite noisy?  Perhaps you are better off
> with a slimline desktop case?  More room for cards, and better
> ventilation?  Shuttle does look like a very cool idea though (I think
> I saw a firm selling a silencer kit for it, basically just a quiet
> fan...?)

You may be thinking of the Shuttle SV25, which is an older model, and
reportedly QUITE noisy.

 From what I've read, the SK41G case is fairly quiet to begin with, but
the best part is that it has only two fans - a tiny power supply fan,
and a somewhat larger case+CPU fan. They get away without a separate
CPU fan by running a "heat pipe" from the heatsink to the case fan.
Plus, the case+CPU fan is temperature controlled. I'm planning on
running a 100Mhz bus speed with the Athlon XP 1800, which is meant to
run on a 133Mhz bus, so the temperature should be very low at all
times, and hopefully the fan noise will be unnoticeable. I may have to
replace the power supply fan, but I'm not too worried about that. Given
the lack of load I'm putting on the power supply, it may also be
possible to run it at a lower voltage, or even remove it.

I also got a 5400RPM 120GB maxtor FDB drive (4R120L0) which is
reportedly very quiet as well.

Assuming all the hardware works, I just need to get a good remote
control with a maniacal number of buttons ;) and build a IR receiver
and I'll have a perfect box. I'll make sure to report back my success
or lack thereof at making a quiet machine when I get it. :)

I'm also thinking of getting a DVD-RW in to burn DVDs of things I want
to keep long-term, but I may wait until MythTV supports that before
buying one.

James