[mythtv-users] install help

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Mar 24 00:06:08 UTC 2003

On Sunday 23 March 2003 06:54 pm, Jay wrote:
> I wasn't trying to record, just view tuner output.
> Are you suggesting recording something since it accesses the tuner
> card in the same way that mythtv does?

Watching tv is recording.

> > Also check that the machine is really locked, does the capslock/numlock
> > light come on when you hit the key?  It could be just that myth has taken
> > over the screen and crashed leaving a black picture up...?  Hit
> > control-alt 1 to get a text console up, log in there and kill myth to get
> > control back
>
> Thanks. I knew about control-alt-backspace but not that key combo.

MythTV cannot lock your machine.  Period.  If the machine locks up, it's due
to something in kernel land, be it a sound, video, or tuner card driver.

> >>I did not install xml tv (I have the same problems other do with it.
> >>Cpan does not work and I couldn't find all the dependencies)
> >
> > Well, if you didn't install all the bits, then that is definitely a
> > problem...  If CPAN doesn't work then you can always download manually
> > from CPAN (http://search.cpan.org) and then unpack and install it
> > yourself
>
> Since it's only supposed to read the tv guide data and channel names
> from these files why would they cause the application to crash if
> they're not present? Doesn't mythtv have sane defaults or error
> handling?

Having channel data present in the database is required for mythtv to run
properly.  I don't particularly want to spend time writing code just for
those people who don't feel like fully setting things up, so feel free to
submit a patch.

> The manual option is given as a method of entering the
> stuff it reads from the (missing) xmltv files. Someone
> went to the trouble to put in an option to allow me to
> enter the missing bits, someone else went to the trouble
> to document, I thought I'd go to the trouble to put in
> a bug report that it wasn't working. Again why isn't
> there decent error handling present?

mythfilldatabase --manual is for initial setup with xmltv grabbers that don't
give complete information, like tv_grab_uk.  It's not for people without
xmltv at all.

Isaac