[mythtv-users] DPI and Proportions

Cliff Draper Cliff.Draper at Sun.com
Fri Mar 21 23:28:31 UTC 2003

From: Chris Palmer <mythtv at zencow.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:07:18 -0800 (PST)
> Are you using a dual-headed output mode, or are you just booting
> your machine with no monitor, with just the TV-out connected?

I temporarily had it dual-headed (VGA and TV-out) while I was doing
initial setup.  While I had a monitor attached to the VGA port, I had
to add the following line to the Screen section of XF86Config-4:
   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

But now that it's single-headed, it automatically detects that.

> I've been wanting to setup dual-headed with TV-out, but I haven't found
> all the info in one place.  Some mentions to nvtv (which I've played
> with a bit) and some mentions of creating new entries in the XF86Config
> file to create special output modes for TV-out, but I'm not sure if
> that was the "old way" and "nvtv" is the "new way" or if I need to
> set things up using both the configs and the utility.

If you want 2 separate screens with 2 separate outputs (VGA & TV-Out)
with an nVidia card, you'll need to use their TwinView.  I've set it
up before, it wasn't that hard.  There's a spot in there for saying
what type of output device the second screen is attached to ("TV" in
this case).  I've never used nvtv before.

Cliff Draper    Sun Microsystems, Forte Tools
My opinions may or may not reflect those of my employer.
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.