[mythtv-users] Slow Performance

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 21 08:23:08 UTC 2003

>>>>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:00:31 -0800 (PST), Jason James <jason_james_97 at yahoo.com> said:

j> Another area of slow performance I've noticed is in
j> mythfrontend. On the main page, it takes a half second
j> to select another option, and uses about 50% CPU. On
j> the Schedule a Recording page, it takes 1-2 seconds to
j> page down or move the cursor a single step. The CPU
j> spikes to 100% when this happens. Is this normal?

        Are you using the latest nVidia video drivers (1.0-4191)?  I
set up a new box with a GeForce2 MX card and noticed this same
slowdown compared to my previous box using a Radeon.  I went back to
*previous* nVidia video drivers (1.0-3123) and the problem went away.
RENDER acceleration is disabled in the latest drivers.  There's an
option to turn it on (see the ChangeLog) but doing consistently locks
up my machine.

	As for your other slowdowns, I think you should be able to
easily do MPEG-4 @640x480  with ~50% CPU on your machine.  What does
"hdparm -tT" show for your disk?  Did you change the default compiler
options for MythTV (libavcodec especially)?

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj at pacbell.net