[mythtv-users] B&W Picture and Channels off....

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 19 06:05:27 UTC 2003

At 12:14 AM 3/19/2003 -0500, grozio at buffalo.edu wrote:
>Am I using the wrong tuner for the ATI TV wonder with bttv?  I know it
>has a bt868 chip in it. I did not see that in the bttv list and do not
>know what it is equivalent to. How would I find that out? Thx.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that you are asking the wrong
question. You are mixing up card type and tuner type.

Capture chips like the bt848 and bt878 help to define the card type. I'm
guessing that your "ATI TV wonder" is card type 63  (or possibly 64). The
bttv module can often identify the card type without any help from you; see
what messages from it are in dmesg to check.

Tuner type identifies the chip used to make frequency selections. For a
list of them, and the associated tuner types, refer to (assuming you have
kernel source installed in the usual place) --

         /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST

The tuner.o module also often detects the tuner type correctly, without any
help from you. I don't know if that works with whichever ATI card you are
using, though. If not, this list is where you need to start.