Capture Card Resolution -- was: Re: [mythtv-users] 2 Capture card questions

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Wed Mar 19 05:18:50 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 March 2003 01:02 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Unit3 wrote:
> > Brian Foddy wrote:
> >> 2nd question...
> >> There are several specs I've seen that the same WinTV series
> >> only has capture resolution of 320x240.  I can't say I know
> >> for a fact if this is correct in Linux or not.  Does anyone know
> >> for sure.  I know I can set myth higher, but is the card really
> >> giving the higher resolution?
> >
> > I was under the impression that *all* bt878 cards could capture at
> > 720x480, given a proper set of drivers.
>
> AFAIK that is correct.
>
> > I'd say pump the res up in MythTV and see if the quality increases or
> > not.. it should be evident right away if you're getting 4x the
> > resolution or if it's just scaling up 320x240.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.4
>
> In Setup->Playback, turn off Fixed Aspect Ratio then during
> playback, press "f". The picture will be in a window the size
> of the original recording dimensions.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think your proof is valid.  I'm sure
the Myth will replay whatever resolution it thinks its capturing, but
that says nothing to what the card is delivering...

Can someone clarify why all the specs state 320x240 for many of
these cards and where the confusion comes from?

Brian