[mythtv-users] Asus A7N266-VM

m0j0.j0j0 m0j0 at foofus.net
Mon Mar 17 16:02:14 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 18:40, Christian Hack wrote:

> 1) I can't seem to get the nForce sound running full duplex. I am running
> ALSA and using the example modules.conf from the ALSA page. I keep getting
> errors like unable to open /dev/dsp. fuser shows no processes with it open
> in general. It's as if it is opened for output and then MythTV tries to open
> it for input. In the interim I have added a cheapo Yamaha YMF724 (also with
> ALSA) as /dev/dsp1 and it works OK, although I'd like to get that PCI slot
> back. Ideas? From the sounds of things Cedar has it working OK... Any tricks
> to getting it working?

Hmmmm... on-board audio works fine for me using ALSA. I did initially
have a problem with btaudio for one of my capture cards grabbing dsp0
before ALSA loaded. I fixed that by adding: "post-install snd-intel8x0
modprobe snd-pcm-oss" to modules.conf.

> I'm getting nasty sound glitches on channel changes too although I'm
> currently blaming them on the PCTV

I also have a noticeable glitch during channel changes. I think this is
Myth-related and has been discussed before. Someone suggested having
Myth auto-dampen sound during a channel change. Not sure if that would
fix it or not...

> 2) If I try to use the onboard video (GF2 MX like) with the current (as of
> about last week) Nvidia binaries, I can't even get xawtv to work. Running it
> generally causes an instant reboot/reset of the board. MythTV is equally
> unsuccessful although it doesn't cause a reboot. Plugging in a GF4 MX 440 in
> the AGP and disabling the on board video and everything works about as good
> as you could expect.

I'm successfully using the 4191 version of the drivers. I downloaded the
source RPM and rebuilt it for my kernel.

> I see mention of a "TVOUT card" for the Asus A7N266-VM and the BIOS allows
> you to set up the default video output format. Has anyone investigated
> further to see if these things actually exist? If so, I could get away
> without an extra video card.

I have done a little bit of Googling for this, but was unable to locate
any for sale.

Good luck,
Joe