[mythtv-users] 2 Capture card questions

Unit3 unit3 at demoni.ca
Mon Mar 17 13:41:52 UTC 2003

Brian Foddy wrote:

>2nd question...
>There are several specs I've seen that the same WinTV series
>only has capture resolution of 320x240.  I can't say I know
>for a fact if this is correct in Linux or not.  Does anyone know
>for sure.  I know I can set myth higher, but is the card really
>giving the higher resolution?

I was under the impression that *all* bt878 cards could capture at
720x480, given a proper set of drivers. I know that my ATI TV Wonder
could only do 320x240 with ATI's capture software, but using WinDVR (or
Linux) let me do full res.

I'd say pump the res up in MythTV and see if the quality increases or
not.. it should be evident right away if you're getting 4x the
resolution or if it's just scaling up 320x240. I'd bet that under linux
you cards should do higher res.

>Now I'm shopping around for a good mate to the 401 card,
>but hopefully with full resolution support and btaudio.
>And now combine these two, any recomendations for a good
>btaudio supported card with full 640x480 NTSC capture resolution?

ATI's card has worked fine for me under linux, so as long as you don't
need it for Windows use I'd recommend that as another alternative.

Graeme