[mythtv-users] Sound but no Picture?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 12 16:03:20 UTC 2003

At 08:44 AM 3/12/2003 +0000, Malcolm Wotton wrote:
>Yep I get this too :(
>
>However my problem is more basic, I can't get any TV at all (even with
>xawtv). When I scantv no channels are recognised at all.

With a problem this basic, I would look not just to software, but to
hardware and settings as well. That is, I would

         A. Check to make sure the card's connection to your cable service
operates properly (can you get a picture on a TV or VCR connection to the
same cable you are using to connect the PC?).

         B. Check to make sure you are using the right frequency settings.

         C. Check to make sure bttv is loading the right i2c modules to
operate the card's tuner.

         D. Check if xawtv can display a signal from the card's Composite
input (say from a VCR).

>I have mandrake 9.0
>bttv 0.7.96
>xawtv 3.76
>TV card is an old WinTV PCI card from Hauppage - could this be the problem?
>
>I'd appreciate any help with this, the most obvious thing to do first is
>upgrade to bttv 0.7.105, but I'm not sure that this is the problem, the card
>is quite old and the kernel is new so it should be fine.
[...]