[mythtv-users] EPIA M-9000 Notes and Questions..

Kevin J. Slater kslater at pobox.com
Tue Mar 11 17:52:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 12:01:51PM -0500, JC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was running Myth CVS just great as of about a week ago.  Have about 60gb
> worth of shows recorded, and then things just "hung".  Couldn't even task
> switch to do a clean shutdown.  Did a hard reset and then it wouldn't even
> load up lilo - gave me an Error 0x10 (media error).  Booted from Mandrake 9
> CD 1, got to point where the install was ready to pick a partition and
> switched to another session and repaired the /dev/hda5 partition (where I
> load from) and got things working again (after it fixed a zillion errors).
> It then booted up ok, I made sure to back everything up to another networked
> PC, and it ran ok for 24 hours then hung again.  Now it won't boot again.

Go to your drive maker's web site and download whatever hard drive test
utilities they supply.  Linux won't make a drive go bad but incorrect hdparm
settings could cause data or fs corruption.  Basically you want to test the
following (preferably in this order).

1.  Is the drive phisically good?

2.  If so is the cable good, properly attached and is the drive jumpered
  properly.

3.  If so you've got a driver or configuration issue so make sure your
kernel has support for your particular ide chipset compiled in and read up
on hdparm.

--
Ray