[mythtv-users] Gentoo vs. Debian

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu Mar 6 19:37:29 UTC 2003

Jeremy Oddo wrote:

>I'm looking to set up a new myth machine and I've narrowed down the distro
>to two choices:  Debian and Gentoo.
>
>Debian seems solid and well respected...but it seems a little less
>"polished".  Debian seems to be geared more towards the hacker and power
>user group.  It's development cycle also seems a little slower.
>
>Gentoo offers some cool features and has a very clean look.  The
>development seems to be a little faster than that of Debian.  It also
>seems to get a lot of positive marks from users.

both of those, I think, are "expert" distros. Both mandrake and red hat
(IMOHO) are much easier to set up. However, once set up debian seems
pretty easy. If debian didn't poo when it saw my hardware setup I might
give it a better shot. Also documentation at mythtv.org/docs/ is
strongest for mandrake and redhat.

best,

cedar