[mythtv-users] rpms for Mandrake

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Mar 6 18:14:48 UTC 2003

At 12:45 PM 3/6/2003 -0500, Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com wrote:

>X forwarding through SSH is fine for non-graphically-intensive apps (that
>may be the wrong way of wording it -- I mean apps that neet to get a lot of
>bitmaps from the server to the display box), but wouldn't this give you an
>utterly miserable framerate when watching TV?

Maybe, maybe not ... depends on the speed of the connection and the
hardware involved. SSH tunneling adds some overhead, of course, but these
factors apply to the performance of any remote-X connection. Personally,
I'd worry about this (a lot) at 802.11b speeds, but not at 100 Mbps unless
the network had very heavy traffic loads (not typical in home settings).

A more fundamental concern I have about any remote-X connection, tunneled
or not, is how well (or even whether) xVideo extensions work in such a
setting. Does anyone here have actual experience with this?