[mythtv-users] Advice on hardware setup

David Tarkowski david.tarkowski at verizon.net
Wed Mar 5 02:36:04 UTC 2003

* Mattias Larsson (ml at techno.org) [030304 21:24]:
> frontend. My laptop with an AMD Duron 900 is the "fastest slow" machine
> I have, but it can't do 720x480 MPEG-4 decoding without dropping
> frames.

I have to ask if you are sure about this.  I'm playing 640x480 MPEG-4 video
and top takes 3 times the CPU that mplayer does (Top is at about 2.7% and
mplayer is at about .9%).  I can believe that number if your display has
absolutely no hardware acceleration but using any sort of decent display
should have very low CPU requirements.  I'm running an Athlon XP 1700+ with
a Matrox G400.

-Dave

--
"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"  -SNL