[mythtv-users] Re:RE: Re:Need a little help with setup

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Mar 3 22:33:50 UTC 2003

At 03:59 PM 3/3/2003 -0500, Weaver, Charles wrote:
>Ray, if you figured it out, why did you not send in a post?

I found the answer very quickly once I looked in the MySQL docs. As a
result, I concluded that my "problem" wasn't much of a problem, and
reflected my own stupidity, or maybe laziness, more than a problem with the
MythTV docs.

This interpretation was reinforced by the fact that nobody answered my
question in the time between my posting the question and my reporting that
I'd found the answer. On mailing lists, polite people usually just ignore
stupid questions ... only occasionally does someone manage to find a polite
way to tell you it's a stuipd question, since that's hard to do politely
... and that's how I interpreted the silence my question met.

It was only when you wrote in with the same problem just a couple of days
later that I thought the omission might be more important ... not my
isolated problem ... so possibly worth an addition to the install
instructions. Particularly when your query, unlike mine, did get responses
that pointed in the wrong directions, which suggested that what I had
concluded was the "obvious" answer wean't so obvious after all.

>  Just to let you
>know, I sent an email to the person maintaining or creating the installation
>guide with the suggestion to add the information about the password, so that
>others would not have the same problem.  If everyone posts answers to the
>problems we encounter, then eventually the install document will be very
>rich and extremely helpful.
>JMO
>Charlie

Maybe, maybe not. For years now, I've seen the problem of "FAQ Bloat", as
documentation gets more and more specifics added to it, to the point where
it is hard to find answers to the simple, common questions because they are
buried in among obscure, rare, or obsolete ones ... in effect, making the
"F" in "FAQ' a lie. So even having experienced this particular problem with
MySQL's confusing use of "root", I'm not sure it should be added to the
MythTV install docs. And I'm sure that the maintainer should not add
*every* answer that shows up on this list to the docs ... deciding what is
important to include and what is better omitted is a key part of a doc
maintainer's job.

In any case, am I assuming too much in thinking that "the person
maintaining or creating the installation
guide" subscribes to and reads this list? I hope not.