[mythtv-users] Problem with TV-out on geforce4 mx440

Vegard Vesterheim Vegard.Vesterheim at uninett.no
Sat Mar 1 18:38:08 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:02:43 +0000 Vincent AE Scott <mythtv at codex.dyndns.tv> wrote:

> [note] this was originally sent to the dev list
>

> Hi there, i've been trying to get mythtv working, and have run into a
> problem, with either my graphics card, or my TV.  So before deciding to
> purchase a new television set, i'd like to ask for your advice.
>
> I have the TV connected up the tv-out via an s-video to SCART cable.
> i believe the TV supports NTSC playback, its an old Bang & Olufsen.
>
> My problem, arrises when i try and playback video thru the TV, it
> appears in black and white.  I have setup X to use two seperate
> ServerLayout sections, one for the monitor and one for tv-out.
>
> With the following section:
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "TV"
>         HorizSync       30-50
>         VertRefresh     60
> EndSection
>
> i get black and white playback.
> as i'm in the UK (PAL-I) shouldnt the VertRefresh by 50?
> i've tried that aswell, but eitehr the TV or the gfx card doesnt like
> it, and X refuses to start, claiming it cant find a suitable resolution.
> I've even tried manually setting a ModeLine entry for it, without any
> success.
>
> >From various postings on dev list, it appears that geforce 4mx's have a
> closed source tvout driver.  should it be possible to output PAL-I @
> 50Hz with this card, or should i go and look for an older geforce 2mx?
> it looks like most people have better luck with the older, simpler, more
> open cards.
>
> Infact, does anyone here have a georce 4mx working in the UK with a
> plain old 50Hz telly?
>

> Any help would be appreciated, i picked up this card at the weekend,
> hoping to have a mythtv setup and working by now.  everything else
> pretty much works OK, except for the tv-out.  (i'm not ruling out, that
> the TV is at fault, its quite old)
>
> Mythtv looks awesome, and i'd love to get it working,
>
> cheers,
> -vince

I have exactly the same problem, and would really appreciate advice on
how to fix this. I have tried connecting the S-video port on my
Geforce 4 MX via a S-video -> SCART cable to my Sony VCR. I have an
oldish Bang & Olufsen connected to the VCR.

I have tried all the settings in the BIOS related to PAL/NTSC. I have
also tried connecting via a Composite connector on the VCR. I get
color during console boot, but when I start X, the Television flickers
for a second or two, before falling back to black/white.  When I exit
X, the console is back to black and white. When I select the input
source on the VCR via the remote, I can actually see the X screen in
color for a split second before it reverts to black/white. At one
point the colors remained and everything seemed to have fixed
itself. Alas, the next time I started X, the old problem with
black/white reappeared.

--
Vegard Vesterheim		: Phone: +47 73 55 79 12
UNINETT				: Fax:   +47 73 55 79 01
N-7465 Trondheim, NORWAY	: Email: Vegard.Vesterheim at uninett.no