[mythtv-users] Re:Feature Idea

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jun 30 15:52:35 EDT 2003

> this where is takes the torrent idea of sharing. if you have 5 people in
> Boston watching the Simpsons on channel 4, then you have 5 seeds, and
> you're available bandwidth is their total bandwidth combined

doesn't matter if the total size of the stream is greater than your
downstream.  As I said, I encode my live tv around 2400kbps.  The
average cable line AT BEST is 1500kbps.  No matter how many people you
grab from, you still don't get the full stream.

> Actually, I like that idea better than my original one. It would have to
> be something you would volunteer your self for, but I think it would be
> way cool to do.

that's the "sharing previously recorded shows" thing...   and yeah, it's
a cool idea, but comes with too many legal issues that I doubt it'll
ever be part of the main mythtv tree.

-Chris