[mythtv-users] MythTV File Formats and playing via the HauppaugePVR-350

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 30 13:14:05 EDT 2003

No, it is just the plain MPEG directly from the hardware with a .nuv
extension. I have no idea if .nuv is mult-format like .avi where you
can't know what kind of encoding is used until you look inside or if it
was just easier to implement this way.

> 	2. Is there a way that MythTV can play out using the
> PVR-350 hardware
> decoder (including the menus and such) so that I do not have
> to use the VIA
> decoder?

No, not yet anyway. I guess there will be people working on it somewhere
in the world, but I have no idea what the status would be.

> 	3. I am guessing the answer to #2 is no so what do I
> have to do to get Xv
> Extensions working on my setup with the VIA hardware decoder
> and would it
> work anyway given #1 above? Please point me to a more
> appropriate list if
> necessary (There is currently lots of discussion on viarena
> regarding using
> the hardware decoder on the VIA but I have a feeling that is
> not via the Xv
> Extensions. I will be posting something there regarding this specific
> question though).

At this moment the only thing you can do is get XFree86 from CVS (or a
recent source tar ball) and compile and install it. That version has
support for the VIA chipset.

> 	4. It looks as though a number of people on this list
> are using the
> PVR-350. Are any of you running MythTV under Mandrake 9.1 on
> a VIA M10000
> (a stretch I know :-)? If so, did you encounter these
> problems and find
> solutions?

I'm using a PVR-250 and have got it all running finally (although
playback of the MPEG streams is still too much for my current system
(also a M-10000)).

> 	Any help and/or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
 -Tako